Skip to main content

Patterson, James & William (1794-1804)

Patterson, James & William, London, upholders and cm (1794–1804). At 9 Little Wild St in 1794 and 49 Red Lion St, Holborn in 1804. In 1794 the total insurance cover came to only £400 of which £140 covered the workshop, sawpit and yard. By 1804, however, the cover was much more extensive suggesting a considerable increase in business. Utensils and stock in their dwelling house were covered for £400, similar items in the workshop behind for £1,000 while further sums of £280 and £50 covered buildings in which their trade was conducted. By 1808 the partnership had ended and James Patterson was carrying on the business alone from the Red Lion St address. W. T. Patterson operating from 7 Little Queen St, Holborn in 1820 may be his ex-partner. [D; GL, Sun MS vol. 401, ref. 628048; vol. 431, ref. 762007]

The original entry from Dictionary of English Furniture Makers, 1660-1840 can be found at British History Online.