Skip to main content

Patching, James (1815-40)

Patching, James, Brighton, Sussex, cm and u (1815–40). At Church St, 1815–17, 1819 and 1821 but in October 1817 and March 1820 shown in Duke St. By 1822 trading at 65 West St but later in this year went into partnership as Patching & Wood, and the business moved to 12 Ship St and 3 Nile St. It was probably at this point that Henry Patching took over the business premises in West St. By 1826 only the Ship St address is recorded and by 1839 the number had been changed to 11. A directory of 1837 lists James Patching once more as sole proprietor but others of 1839 and 1843 still lists the partnership. Baptisms of four sons and four daughters recorded, 1817–27, and in 1840 a daughter Sarah married Francis Fort an u of 33 Cambridge St, and a son Edward Patching was listed as a paper-hanger living at 44 Wood St. [D; PR (bapt. and marriage)]

The original entry from Dictionary of English Furniture Makers, 1660-1840 can be found at British History Online.