Skip to main content

Ody, John (1704-d. 1733)

Ody, John

‘The Castle’, St Paul's Churchyard, London; cabinet maker and upholder (app. 1704-d. 1733)

John Ody was the son of John Ody of Swanbrook, Oxfordshire, apprenticed through the Joiners' Company to William Palmer on 9 January 1704/5; made free 1 September 1713.

He sbund three apprentices through the Joiners’ Company, beginning March 1717, and was called to the Livery of the Company in October 1723. 

His marriage allegation dated 19 April 1717 declares that he ntended to wed Mary Old, the daughter of the chair maker William Old, at St Margaret’s Westminster. Both partners were living on the south side of St Pauls Churchyard at that time. The business relationship between John Ody and William Old probably started about this date. 

In May 1727 Ody was working on a commission which involved the supply of two pier and two chimney glasses to Thomas Foley of Stoke Edith, Hertfordshire. Included in a letter that he forwarded to his patron on 11 May 1727 was a sketch and a discussion of alternative ways of framing and finishing the glasses. [Heal; Hertfordshire Record Office, Foley MS 12/7673].

Although William Old died in 1728 the partnership continued (perhaps with either widow Old or Henry Old, William’s son, in William’s place) until March 1733, when John Ody died. Mary Ody (née Old) died four months later.

Source: DEFM; Lindey, ‘William Old and John Ody 'At the Castle in St Paul's Church-Yard'’, FHS Newsletter (February 2006).

The original entry from Dictionary of English Furniture Makers, 1660-1840 can be found at British History Online.