Skip to main content

Hargrave, Jeremiah (1726–86)

Hargrave (or Hargrove), Jeremiah

Hull, Yorks.; carver in stone and wood, architect and furniture maker (fl. c. 1726–86)

Took app. named Foster in 1753. [S of G, app. index] Addresses given at Scale Lane, 1773–80, and listed as Jeremiah & Son, Joseph, at Saville St until 1802. Supplied items to Burton Constable, Yorks., including in 1768–69 carved and gilt Neo-classical side tables, wine cisterns, girandoles and statuary plinths. Some furniture was made to designs of James Wyatt, other pieces were designed by Timothy Lightoler. Between 1771–80 Hargrave provided various picture frames, one for ‘Barratt painting of House’ in 1773; carved ‘a large trophy of war for west front’, and in 1774 ‘the Crest & Ornament in Pediment’. In 1778 he supplied carved and gilt girandoles, and in 1780 carved ‘the ornament & mouldings for 3 Chimneypieces.’ Jeremiah and Joseph carried out further carving of picture frames and chimney pieces, and silvering glass in August 1784.

Source: DEFM; Hall, ‘Some Lightoler Designs for Burton Constable’, Furniture History (1985).

The original entry from Dictionary of English Furniture Makers, 1660-1840 can be found at British History Online.