Skip to main content

Hancock, Shepherd & Rixon; Hancock, Rixon & Dunt; Hancock & Rixon (1800-1877)

Hancock, Shepherd & Rixon; Hancock, Rixon & Dunt; Hancock & Rixon

London; light & chandelier makers (fl.1800–77)

Hancock, Shepherd & Rixon was recorded at 1 Cockspur Street from c.1800.

By 1838 the partnership of Hancock, Rixon & Dunt was listed at the Cockspur Street address where they remained until at least 1843.  

Private Commissions:

  • Chatsworth, Derbyshire (1820-1835): Hancock & Co., glass and chandelier manufacturers (probably the same firm) supplied items items to Chatsworth with bills totalling £913 10s 5d [Chatsworth furnishing accounts]
  • Chiswick House, London: Received £483 4s 6d for ‘Branches for Grace's apartments' [Chiswick household accounts, cl66, vol. A]

Royal Commissions:

The Lord Chamberlain’s accounts recorded payments to Hancock, Rixon & Dunt or Hancock & Rixon (1832-1857) 

  • Windsor Castle (c.1828-30): George IV commissioned a sixty light gilt bronze chandelier, designed by A. W. N. Pugin for the Queen's Guard Chamber and a gilt bronze chandelier with eight branches (also designed by Pugin) for the Octagon Room
  • St James's (29 June 1833): ‘One 4-light gold coloured antique lamp’, costing £12
  • Windsor Castle (31 December 1835) Received £998 18s 9d, including £640 11s 8d for ‘4 large chandeliers for the Grand Reception Rms — Windsor’ Castle; for ‘fitting & fixing metalwork … & Gold Colouring the Same’; and £92 7s 1d for ‘New Glass Work cutting etc.’ (these payments could have been in connection with the George IV commissions).
  • Windsor Castle (30 June 1840) Hancock, Rixon & 'Dant' received £5 17s for ‘2 very thick handsome Maplewood Stands French Polished & covered w. silk velvet’.
  • Stud House, Hampton Court (date unknown): loaned items including:  lamps, ormolu girandoles, pedestals, blue glass girandoles and candlesticks. Stud House was the official residence of the Master of the Horse.

Hancock, Rixon & Dunt exhibited a 32-light cut-glass chandelier at the Great Exhibition, 1851, class 24 (illus. Meyer (2006) p. 59).

Alfred Hancock Rixon transferred the business of Hancock & Rixon to his son, Alfred Rixon, who continued the trade at 47 Great Marlborough Street [The Furniture Gazette Directory, 7 July 1877].

Sources: DEFM; Joy, ‘The Royal Victorian Furniture-Makers, 1837-87’, The Burlington Magazine (November 1969); Meyer, Great Exhibitions. London, New York, Paris, Philadelphia. 1851-1900 (2006).

The original entry from Dictionary of English Furniture Makers, 1660-1840 can be found at British History Online.