Skip to main content

Hancock, Colebron (1775)

Hancock, Colebron, Hedge Lane, Charing Cross (later called Whitcomb St), London, glass cutter (1775). J. T. Smith in Nollekens and His Times noted that the premises of William Wilton were later occupied by a glass manufacturer of the name of Hancock, ‘for whom Doctor Johnson wrote a handbill’. He was a cutter of glass other than looking-glass, and is perhaps the Col. Hancock who supplied ‘2 pr. curious girandoles for holding two lights each’, costing £31 10s, to Croome Court, Worcs. on 13 March 1775. [Wills, Looking-Glasses; V&A archives]

The original entry from Dictionary of English Furniture Makers, 1660-1840 can be found at British History Online.