Skip to main content

Guy, John & Sons (1839-1884)

Guy, John & Sons

London; jewellery case makers, fancy & library and office cabinet makers (fl.1839-1884)

John Guy was recorded in 1839 at 41 St John Street as a jewellery case maker. 

By 1871 he had apparently partnered with his sons, thus renaming the business, John Guy & Sons, fancy cabinet makers listed at 12a South Street, Finsbury [1871 London Post Office Directory].

In 1881 they advertised as wholesale furniture makers for libraries, club rooms and offices and fancy cabinet makers at 1a & 2b Hoxton Street & Curtain Road, London [The Furniture Gazette, 1 January 1881].  They participated in the Third Annual Furniture Exhibition, London in 1883 [The Furniture Gazette, 31 March & 5 May 1883] and displayed office and library furniture at the Furniture Trades Exhibition, Agricultural Hall, in 1884 [The Furniture Gazette, 10 May 1884]. 

The Furniture Gazette, 28 May 1881, announced that Mr. Charles Gustave Menage retired from the firm.

Source: DEFM

The original entry from Dictionary of English Furniture Makers, 1660-1840 can be found at British History Online.