Skip to main content

Greener & Chiesa (1830-39)

Greener & Chiesa, Whitechapel, Liverpool, carvers and gilders (1830–39). Probably founded earlier than the first recording in 1830, for in an advertisement in Gore's Directory, 1837, they claimed to have been trading for sixteen years. At 34 Whitechapel, 1830–36 but then moved to premises at 39. They also owned premises in Williamson St. In 1835 their manufactory was at 17 Williamson St and in 1837 their ware-rooms were in premises adjacent to their Whitechapel address but entered from Williamson St. An 1839 directory gives the Whitechapel number as 44. They claimed to keep ‘an assortment of PIER, CHIMNEY & DRESSING GLASSES in great variety’ and solicitated trade orders from builders, glaziers, merchants and shipowners. Imported German clocks. [D; Liverpool Mercury, 26 March 1830]

The original entry from Dictionary of English Furniture Makers, 1660-1840 can be found at British History Online.