Skip to main content

Gould, William & Son (1781–1840)

Gould, William & Son

78 Gracechurch Street, London; carvers and gilders, looking-glass manufactory (fl. 1781–1840)

William Gould jnr was apprenticed to his father on 4 July 1781 and made free of the Upholders’ Company by servitude, 6 August 1788. The partnership is first mentioned in directories in 1796. A pier glass in the Adam style decorated with a Wedgwood plaque and a blue and gold decorative panel and bearing the label of ‘Gould & Son’ is recorded.

A chinoiserie chimney glass [sold Sotheby's, 26 June 1959, lot 181] bears a label on back which reads: ‘Gould & Son's, Looking & Coach Glass Manufactory, No. 78, 6 Church Street, London. Wholesale and for Exportation.’ (illus.). The business was a substantial one and insurance cover on stock and utensils in 1812 amounted to £1,500. A trade card for this maker is in the Johnson Collection, Bodleian Library. The labelled pier glass, chimney glass, a picture frame and a looking-glass (probably earlier but possibly restored by Gould) are illustrated in Gilbert (1996), figs 409-415.

Sources: DEFM; Upholders’ Co. records; Sun MS vol. 457, ref. 875460; Country Life, 31 May 1962, supplement, p. 32; Gilbert, Pictorial Dictionary of Marked London Furniture 1700-1840 (1996).

The original entry from Dictionary of English Furniture Makers, 1660-1840 can be found at British History Online.