Skip to main content

Gibson, George (1758-75)

Gibson, George, York, carver and gilder (1758–75). Took as apps John Cockran, 1759; Henry Brother, 1761; and James Griffiths, 1764. In July 1774 announced that he had taken a shop in The Shambles ‘joining to Crux Church’. He offered to execute ‘Chimney Pieces, Picture and Glass Frames, and Mouldings for Rooms, and other Ornaments.’ He stated that he had ‘engaged proper Assistants, well qualified to execute all the above Branches in the most elegant Manner’. It was also indicated that he intended ‘to give up the Pawn-broking Business entirely.’ In 1775 he insured his house for £400. One commission for Harewood House, Yorks. is recorded. On 13 April 1776 he charged £3 4s for gilding a girandole. [App reg.; York Courant, 19 July 1774; GL, Sun MS vol. 244, p. 115; Leeds archives dept, Harewood MS 248]

The original entry from Dictionary of English Furniture Makers, 1660-1840 can be found at British History Online.