Skip to main content

Gairdner, George snr and jnr (1806-39)

Gairdner, George snr and jnr, London, cm (1806–39). In 1806 trading as George Gairdner & Thomas Whitby from 10 Hemming Row. In September of that year they insured for £150 stock, utensils and goods in trust at Hemmings Row; and in November of the same year for a similar sum stock and utensils ‘in workshops and lofts over stables in West St, Seven Dials.’ No further mention of Whitby has been traced and in January 1809 the business was trading as a partnership of George Gairdner snr and his son George. Although insurance cover of £300 was taken out only £100 of this was in respect of stock, utensils and goods in trust. A year later however the figures had risen to £650 and £250 respectively. In January 1809 the business was trading from 3 Peters Ct, St Martin's Lane and a year later from 15 Green St, Leicester Sq. The first mention of the business in directories is in 1819 and from this date until 1827 is simply recorded as George Gairdner, though upholstery is added to the trade previously offered. From 1819–25 the address was 132 Long Acre, but from 1823 80 Tottenham Ct Rd is also listed and this was to continue after 1825 as the sole address. The insurance cover in 1823 on the Tottenham Ct Rd premises was £600 of which £390 was for utensils and stock. In 1839 the business was trading as George Gairdner & Sons, u. [D; GL, Sun MS vol. 437, refs 792972, 795687; vol. 445, ref.825518; vol. 448, ref. 839188; vol. 498, ref. 1008772]

The original entry from Dictionary of English Furniture Makers, 1660-1840 can be found at British History Online.