Skip to main content

Finnis & Co. (1804–1845)

Finnis & Co

London; carvers, gilders and looking glass manufacturers (fl.1804–45)

Addresses given at 19 Blackman Street, 1804–15 (and in 1820); 153 Half Moon Inn, Southwark, 1817; 153 High Street, Southwark, 1819–25; no. 152 in 1825; 2 Thomas Place, Great Dover Road in 1835; 111 Blackman Street and 2 Dover Road in 1837 and Thomas Place. and 111 Blackman Street in 1839. 

A bill head dated to 1812 is in the John Johnson Collection, Bodleian Library, Oxford. A giltwood pier glass, c. 1815, bearing a label printed with the Blackman Street address is illustrated in Gilbert (1996), fig. 352 and was sold at Sotheby’s, 10 Nov 1995, lot 150.

A giltwood oval frame, c.1830, with a printed label with the address for Finnis & Co. at No. 40 Queen Street, Borough, Southwark, is illustrated in Gilbert (1996), figs 353-354.

The London Post Office Directory 1845 listed Finnis & Co. at 111 Blackman Street & Dover Road.

See W. Finnis

Source: DEFM; Gilbert, Pictorial Dictionary of Marked London Furniture 1700-1840 (1996);Stabler, ‘Furniture Makers' Trade-Cards and Bill-Heads in the John Johnson Collection’, FHS Newsletter, May 2007.

The original entry from Dictionary of English Furniture Makers, 1660-1840 can be found at British History Online.