Skip to main content

Emmett, William (1641-93)

Emmett, William, London, carver (b. 1641–93). Recorded by Vertue as successor to his uncle, Henry Phillips Emmett, as Sculptor to the Crown and predecessor to Grinling Gibbons. Known to have worked with William Morgan. Named in the Livery of the Joiners’ Co. in 1666. Worked at Whitehall in December 1688 receiving £197 10s 6d for a picture frame ‘with 2 inrichments oak leaves and husks and Italian moulding’, for the Queen's Closet; and ‘two scollop shells in the neeches’ for the Privy Gallery. In March and August 1690 his bill for work at Hampton Court on the Water Gallery included ‘large Italian picture fram'd mouldings … over the 2 chimneys in the Great Room’, costing £8 8s 5d. In 1693 he was paid £220 for work done at Hampton Court. He also worked at Kensington Palace in 1790, Chelsea, and the City Churches. Temple Church has two capitals by him. [British Arch. Assoc. Journal, 1951, p. 4; Wren Soc., vol. xx; PRO, Works 5/42, 46 and 55]

The original entry from Dictionary of English Furniture Makers, 1660-1840 can be found at British History Online.