Skip to main content

Edmundson, Rachel & Sons (1810–39)

Edmundson, Rachel & Sons

Liverpool, Lancs; cabinet maker and upholder (fl. 1810–39)

Took over the business of her husband, Richard, on his death in 1810 and traded as R. Edmundson & Sons, which has led to confusion with her late husband’s business. Recorded as Edmundson & Son at 2 Oldhall (probably Oldham) St, 1816–37, and Marshall St, 1817–23. Announced changes of address from Marshall St to 11 Bold St in Liverpool Mercury, 11 February 1820; and on 10 December 1830 from 12 Bold St (where directories list the firm from 1827–29) to no. 52, ‘which they are now fitting up to suit the convenience of their Business. As they intend to open their new establishment with a modern & fashionable assortment of UPHOLSTERY & CABINET FURNITURE they have commenced selling their stock at very reduced prices.’ Recorded at 62 Bold St, 1834–35, no. 63 in 1837 and no. 112 in 1839. Directory also records R Edmundson at 3 Oldham St in 1839. Supplied furniture to Liverpool Town Hall between 1817–23, totalling £2,057 (illus. Dean, Furniture History (1989), figs 10-21).

Source: DEFM; Dean, ‘The Regency Furniture in Liverpool Town Hall’, Furniture History (1989).

The original entry from Dictionary of English Furniture Makers, 1660-1840 can be found at British History Online.