Skip to main content

Edmonds, William (1775-1779)

Edmonds, William

Oxford, Oxfordshire then Burford, Oxfordshire; joiner, carpenter, cabinet and chair maker (fl. 1775–79)

Opened a shop in High Street, near All Saints on 21 October 1775.

Sale of stock in trade on the take-over of Edmonds's business by Mr Linsell announced in Jackson's Oxford Journal, 18 September 1779. Edmonds was ‘going to keep the Mermaid at Burford; where he intends carrying on the Carpenter's, Joiner's, and Cabinet Business, as usual’. Stock for sale consisted of beds and bedding, ‘Mahogany and Walnut-tree Chairs, Tables, Bureaus, Chests of Drawers, Pier and Swing Glasses, Tea-Boards, Trays, Chests, China &c.’

Source: DEFM

The original entry from Dictionary of English Furniture Makers, 1660-1840 can be found at British History Online.