Skip to main content

Davis, Marks (1748-85)

Davis, Marks, Milsom St, Bath, Som., cm (1748–85). Son of George Davis, cm and joiner; app. to Thomas Bishop, cm of Bath, in 1748; free 1756. Took app. named Sylvester in 1759. [S of G, app. index] In 1763, 1773, 1776, 1783 and 1785 leased premises in Milsom St, Union Passage; Stall St and Orange Grove from Bath Corporation. Advertised in the Bath and Bristol Chronicle, 1 February 1770 with his partner Bartlett to inform their friends and public ‘that they have this day opened their Upholstery and Cabinet, Chair, Carpet and Paper Hanging warehouse in Union Passage. N.B. Goods let on hire, appraised and Funerals completely furnished’. [Bath app. reg.]

The original entry from Dictionary of English Furniture Makers, 1660-1840 can be found at British History Online.