London, carver and gilder, glass grinder and looking-glass manufacturer (1784–1839)
At 8 Lombard St in 1784 but by 1785 the number had changed to 82. In 1809 moved to 12 George Ct, Piccadilly and subsequently shown at 42 Piccadilly 1811–14, 43 Piccadilly 1815–20 and 36 Piccadilly 1821–39. In 1811 referred to as Cooper & Co. and it is likely because of the long duration of the business that more than one George Cooper was involved. The firm's trade label is known [Symonds papers, Winterthur, Delaware] from the 82 Lombard St address. This states: ‘Looking glasses and all sorts of frames with carving and gilding by George Cooper, real manufacturer … Coach and sash glasses on the shortest notice, old looking glasses new silvered, or the full value given for them’. A pair of shield-shaped gilt mirrors, one labelled, was included in the Parke-Bernet sale 13 May 1954, lot 481 (illus. Gilbert (1996), fig 222). A writing table, c.1830, in satinwood with a marquetry top, is labelled on the underside ‘G. & E. Cooper, Upholsterers and Cabinet Makers, 33 Piccadilly London’ is illustrated in Gilbert (1996), fig. 224, and sold Christie’s, 14 Dec. 1972, lot 116. During the 1830s the firm was involved with work at Windsor Castle. This commenced in 1831 when re-japanning, graining and varnishing several items of furniture was charged at £9 19s 9d. In September 1832 the gilding of a large chimney glass and the painting and varnishing of old bedsteads ends and further furniture renovation is listed. In December 1837 a payment of £30 10s is recorded for two composition and gold screens to display pieces of needlework. A further payment was made on 30 June 1839 for staining and varnishing oak furniture, preparing, painting and varnishing chiffoniers, bookcases, a press and bedsteads. Cooper also supplied goods and carried out work at Panshanger, Herts., 1835–36. Amongst the items supplied was a ‘richly ornamented gilt chimney glass frame’ costing £30. He was also paid £7 10s 6d by the 3rd Lord Braybrooke of Audley End, Essex in December 1833.
Source: DEFM; Gilbert, Pictorial Dictionary of Marked London Furniture 1700-1840 (1996).