Skip to main content

Chillingworth, Robert & Burnett, Thomas (1724-44)

Chillingworth, Robert & Burnett, Thomas, London, cm, u and appraisers, (1724–44). In 1724 the firm was trading at the sign of ‘The King's Arms’, near Harp Alley, Fleet Ditch (now New Bridge St). About 1740 they moved to a position opposite the newly built church of St Mary-le-Strand, at the east end of the Strand. The partnership dissolved in 1741 and Chillingworth set up at this address on his own. His business had ceased by 1744 when the shop was taken by Dominic Hornon, a grocer. Thomas Burnett was however trading from this address or a shop adjacent from 1747. [V & A archives; Heal; Phillips, Mid-Georgian London, 1964, p. 172]

The original entry from Dictionary of English Furniture Makers, 1660-1840 can be found at British History Online.