Liverpool, Lancashire; upholsterer and cabinet maker (1787–1811)
In 1787 shown at Ormond Street, where his trade was listed as upholsterer and victualler. He is recorded at both 18 York Street and 3 George's Street in 1790. Thereafter he traded from addresses in Lord Street, first at no. 10 (1792–1803) and then no. 12.
In April 1792 he announced the ending of a partnership with Robert Smith and the opening of ‘a commodious SHOP opposite the Post Office in Lord-street’. In April of the following year he announced that he had just returned from London ‘with an assortment of the most fashionable articles in the UPHOLSTERY BUSINESS’.
He was also seeking an apprentice. Although the directories show no change of address, he advertised in January 1798 that he had moved ‘six doors higher than his late shop’.
Bill head of John Chew at No 12, LORD STREET, LIVERPOOL, UPHOLSTERER & CABINET MAKER, To his Royal Highness Prince William Frederic of Gloucester, 1804[D,2.1296]. © The Trustees of the British Museum
In 1809 John Chew & Son supplied chairs to the Liverpool Town Hall. The business continued to trade after 1811 initially as Chew & Son and then under the sole control of his son William.
Sources: DEFM; Dean, ‘The Regency Furniture in Liverpool Town Hall’, Furniture History (1989).