‘The Hand & Chair’, first shop from Ludgate Street, St Paul's Churchyard, London; chair and cabinet maker (fl. c.1710–36)
A kneehole desk veneered in figured walnut, c. 1710, with a trade label pasted inside the frieze drawer is known (illus. Kirkham, Furniture History, 1988, p. 201). This features his trade sign showing a chair of early Georgian character, as does his invoice for a ‘Walltre wisk table & lined with Green Cloth’ dated 1 March 1735/36. The card table was charged at £3 3s and was for Paul Foley of the Temple and Little Ormond St, London and Newport House, Almeley, Hertfordshire.
Sources: DEFM; Kirkham, ‘The London Furniture Trade 1700-1870’, Furniture History (1988).