Aldersey, Thomas (1754-1781)
London; glass grinder, cabinet maker and upholder (fl. 1754-81)
In 1754 established at Addle St where he was employing one freeman as a chair maker and one non-freeman as a glass seller. By 1761 he had moved to 20 Tooley St, Southwark at which address he was to remain until 1770. In 1767–68 the business was listed as ‘Thomas Aldersey & James Cawdell’. From 1771 the address was given as Bridge Yd, Tooley St and from 1773 as 4 Bishopgate Without, when the style of the enterprise was given as ‘Thomas Aldersey & Co.’. From 1779 the address was 17 Broker's Row, Moorfields. Three looking glasses, c.1755-65, with mahogany and carved gilt frames are known with this maker's label (illus. Gilbert (1996), figs 19-22). [D; GL, City Licence bks, vol. 1; Antiques, May 1968, p. 648].
Source: DEFM; Gilbert, Pictorial Dictionary of Marked London Furniture 1700-1840 (1996).